The 1st annual Modern Japan History Association Book Prize winner will be awarded in early 2024 to an outstanding English-language book on modern Japan or Japanese history published in 2022.
The winner will receive a monetary prize. The 2024 Book Prize is made possible by generous support from the Japan Foundation.
Guidelines for Submission
- Full consideration will be given to books substantially illuminating the history of modern and contemporary Japan (1868-present), as well as books exploring the historical roots of modern Japanese society and culture. Provided this condition is met, books from any academic discipline and books covering earlier eras of history are eligible.
- To be eligible, books must be a first edition with a copyright year of 2022.
- Books must be originally published in English. Translations of books originally published in other languages will not be considered.
- Reference works, exhibition catalogs, multi-authored collections of essays, textbooks, original poetry or fiction, memoirs, or autobiographies are not eligible.
- Authors need not be members of the MJHA.
- Only publishers and MJHA members may nominate a book for consideration.
- Upon receipt of a completed nomination form, nominators will be provided with addresses for prize committee members. One copy of the book must be sent to each member of the committee to insure full consideration.
- To receive full consideration books shipped to committee members must be postmarked by July 1, 2023.
Nominations must be received by July 1, 2023 to be eligible for the 2024 award.
To submit a nomination, publishers or MJHA members may use the form found HERE.
If you would like to join MJHA, please sign up HERE.
2024 Prize Committee
MIRIAM KINGSBERG KADIA (Chair)
University of Colorado